Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I Don't Git It

I don't get it,

This past week, Rob Schenck held his Ten Commandments seminar at Grace Baptist Church. Mr. Schenck is a lovely Jewish Christian man who has a misintry in Washington D.C. I always enjoy hearing him speak whenever he comes to Middletown. However, a thought came to mind that has caused me some concern. Why aren't the ten commandments posted in churchs?

Today, churches endorse displaying the ten commandments in public places but fail to post those same commandments within church walls. As I thought of the many churches I have been as a guest or member, I don't recall ever seeing the ten commandments. Don't get me wrong. I know I can go to Exodus 20 and read them any time I wish but the weary soul visiting a church will certainly not see this Law. Doesn't knowing the law bring the conviction of sin? Yet, I would think that churches would be the number one place to see the commandments. I can visit any church and see a pastor's name, church name, maybe the name of a donor who gave big bucks for a new church wing, active ministries, to name a few.

Furthermore, I recall the Christian schools I have visited. Again, I do not recall seeing the ten commandments posted in this arena. One certainly will not find the Law posted in public schools. Then, getting right down to it, I don't recall too many homes of Christians that display the ten commandments. Could it be that we refuse to acknowledge that our moral standard of living parallels wordly standards?

Don't you think that we should exemplify ourselves and display those commandments? If we are going to campaign for their display in public, we should show that we live by what we wish others to live. We have a privledge to display this law but take things for granted. I know that when I see those ten specific statements after God's heart, I see my shortcomings.

I wonder what would happen if the ten commandments were seen within the church walls by church membership. Would the fourth commandment suddendly become profound again? Would the restaurants, malls and grocery stores still be filled after morning services? Since going to church as an adult, I never did understand what church membership are doing with the other six days of the week that leads them to cram the restaurants on the Lord's Day. I have been told by restaurant employees that the worst behaved customers they have seen are the Sunday church crowd. Personally, I have never found a valid reason to work or shop on Sundays. I just don't put the ox in the ditch.

Today, there are Christian bookstores that I refuse to do business with any longer. Why? They too have caved in to the all mighty dollar by opening their stores on Sundays all in the name of the Lord. May I say that you are a Christian bookstore under the name of the Lord though violating His sabbath? The excuse I got from Family Christian Bookstore at the Middletown Mall was that is the only chance they have to witness to patrons. Is this staff unwilling to serve in God's house on the sabbath? Berean Christian has caved in to pretty much the same thinking. Both chain stores are producing some of the most rude staff I have ever encountered in Christian bookstores. In the meantime I continue to do business with Heaven's Cupboard on Main street in Hamilton, Ohio. They have a super nice staff and are closed on Sundays. They are also getting more customers from the former stores I just mentioned.


What compromises. I just don't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home