Monday, July 24, 2006


Porch Revival

What ever happened to the days of family and friends congregating on the porch? There are so many lovely porches and patios everywhere but where are the people? A great deal of money and effort are put into these entry ways but there is little sign of the human race. This part of the home looks so inviting to visitor or buyer but where is the owner, big wheel, bicycle, family dog or cat?

I have so many fond memories of porch life that I even did a photo series entitled Scenes From The Back Porch. I guess I observed more nature from a porch than any place else on the planet. I have seen more butterflies and humming birds from a porch than I can count. I'm often asked where I get my macro nature shots. Most of them have come from someone's porch. I loved watching the weather and saw my first tornado form as I stood on a set of porch steps Of course I could never forget Mother's awesome flowers gracing this part of our home. She is still an authority on flowers as that was always her passion and gift. Today, if you are her guest you will tour her flower gardens.

Our porch made a great place for parking our bicycles. With five of us kids I can assure you that those bikes were always in the way of our parents. When the dreaded canning time came around, those bikes had to go and we practically lived on the porch until canning season was over!

Being the animal lover that I am, I probably took in more stray cats and dogs that wandered to our porch. Mother's rule was that I could keep the strays as long as I take care of them. Also, she warned me that I had to hide the animals from my Dad. Taking care of the new found pet was not a problem but hiding it from my Dad was a chore. At times, when I would go out to find my furry friends, they turned up missing. Broke my heart every time.

We moved to a smaller farm when I was a teenager. There I had a border collie named "Tippy" that someone gave to the family. He was my best buddy. He went everywhere with me. Often he and I could be found out on the porch in which I did all of the talking and he just sat and listened. Our neighbors next door often complained that Tippy would be at their house. So my Dad aimed to please the neighbors and decided to take him to the dog pound. No matter how much I begged to not let my dog be taken, he was gone. Not only was I sad but this time in my heart, I had it out for the neighbors.

Three weeks later I was out on the porch. I looked up and Tippy beelined through the yard straight to me. I was thrilled to see him again. Mother thought someone nearby had adopted him and he knew where her really belonged. However, as luck would have it, the neighbors started complaining and Tippy was gone that day. To this day, the loss of that wonderful dog still bothers me. I still love porches but decades later I still miss that dog.

A person can't beat porch talk. Growing up, we always congregated on the porch. At the end of a hard day's work on the farm, we always sat down with something cold to drink and talked about the day and made plans for tomorrow. Porch talk was always better in Southeastern Kentucky from where we came. At the end of the day, womenfolk would meet the menfolk coming in from the mines, serve up coffee, well water or moonshine this of course after a hefty supper. It is here that I learned some of the best in Appalachian folklore and customs that are just unforgettable. Many of these conversations went well into the night. Visitors were considered rude if they did not stay and sit a spell. Though we would have sad moments when a miner would come home to announce a grisley accident in the mines or if there was a death in the family. We would also turn the porch into a part time funeral parlor since the wake was held at someone's home and we are allowed to bury our deceased on our property according to Kentucky state law.

I think the most famous porch will always be my grandmother Adams. Situated in Knott and Letcher counties, this homestead is a classic home in a typical Southeastern Kentucky hollow. The way we approached that porch became a ritual. We would drive up in Dad's Ford Galaxy where grandma's collie dog, Sam would come out barking. Grandma always said the same thing, "Chillin, y'all come on up but don't touch Sam". She was always afraid Sam would bite. Whenever her back was turned I would sneak and pet him.

Nonetheless, we would climb that old wooden porch, wash our hands with a bar of lye soap lying next to a dishpan full of fresh well water. Then we would proceed to eat a home cooked meal she had ready for us. After this was done, us kids went out to play. I would still sneak and play with Sam until I got caught. Years after my grandfather Adams passed, a cousin came to visit my grandmother. He did not like Sam. He conned my grandmother into getting rid of Sam on the grounds that he would come back and visit more often. Several years ago, an aunt of mine told me the truth about this situation. Sam was shot by a family member and the conniving cousin never came back to visit my grandmother. I can't even find this cousin today.

As I reflect back on porch meetings I have observed that a porch greeting can make or break any relationship by the owner's attitude toward the visitor. I have heard countless testimonies from people who have been so offended by one greeting at someone's porch only to never go back again. On the other hand, I have personally witnessed people and animals seeking refuge at a porch that often led to an open door.

Today, I find it strange that family and friends no longer meet on porches. I think the only reason porches are used are for show. As I said previously, a great deal of money and hard work goes into decorating this part of the home but I think this has gotten out of control. I have witnessed tempers flair between husbands and wives or parents and kids over the use and maintainance of porches. I actually know of several marriages that are currently strained over too much money and decor on the porch. I am also aware that the only visitors to certain porches are the police, Children's Services deliveries from QVC or a con. Sadly, visits like these have closed off many proches to fellowship.

We seem to have lost an Amercian tradition and I'm not suprised. We are in a nation that consumes ninety percent of the world's antidepressants. In recent surveys among Americans, sixty percent have said our own people have become very unfriendly. Seventy percent of Americans are living well beyond their means. It is little wonder humans do not spend time on their porches. Internet, which I use daily, has replaced the standard mode of communication and we have become more antisocial because of it. While this may be the case, I would rather sit on a porch with a book, big cup of coffee, shooting pictures, watching nature is at it's best, and I would be happy to do this with or without you .





1 Comments:

Blogger Divine's Dern Thawts said...

So delighted you enjoyed "Porch Revival". I hope that that my thoughts brought back some memories for you.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home