Wednesday, July 26, 2006



Local Native Americans. It's About Time!

This past weekend I caught the annual Ohio Challenge here in Middletown. For those not familiar with the Challenge; it is a weekend festival of hot air balloons. This is part of a national competition held the third weekend of July at Smith Park. There are usually around thirty plus hot air balloons that launch twice daily, weather permitting, during the course of the weekend. Normally, I do not leave home as I have a marvelous view from my livingroom. The balloons certainly peak the curiosity for Moo and Teddy Bear. This time I decided to go to the park as I had a college friend over who had never seen the balloons up close. As we walked around before the evening launch, behold, I spotted the Banks family and their entourage of friends. I was very suprised and humbled that two different spectators introduced themselves to the Banks' because as each stated "I wanted to meet you because I have seen you guys in this lady's pictures" thus, pointing at me.

I met the Banks family in 1997 during Preble County Historical Days held at Fort St. Clair. When I entered the grounds, I heard all of this drumming. I followed the sound and came upon this encampment of Native Americans. As luck would have it, I had one of my cameras. I stayed the entire day learning about their culture, music, art, dance and the fact they are ordinary people like you and I. Being from a Cherokee heritage myself, these local Native Americans made me realize how much of my Native culture I have ignored.

As I got to know these people at the make shift encampment, Jesse Banks, aka "Painted Pony" and his son Mark, aka "Running Horse" along with friend "Spirit Force" were only too happy to answer my questions. They also allowed me as much liberty to photograph except if a dance was sacred. According to Jesse, Native Americans do not allow sacred dances to be videotaped or photographed.

Since that meeting at Fort St. Clair, I have seen the Banks family and their Native Friends at festivals all over Southwestern Ohio. They love to perform and they perform passionately. They do these festivals to educate people of their heritage. If you ever catch them at a festival I encourage you to get to know them. They love to answer questions about their customs, dances, religion, costuming and music. Don't be suprised that they can tell you what every piece of costuming means. Some of it is earned and some of it is sacred.

I got to meet their Chief at the Black Walnut Festival in 2001 held in Camden, Ohio. He saw all my camera gear and asked if I was with the press. I told him I just freelance. He told me that he and the tribe have had a history of be treated as second class people by the press and Black Walnut Festival committee members. He thanked me for showing them for who they really are - local Native American people. I was very humbled by his remarks. In my heart I was suprised they had experienced such treatment as the Banks family really draw a crowd everywhere they perform.

Since meeting the Banks', they have become a benchmark performance at festivals. People absolutely enjoy them. I don't know if my cameras helped them increase attendance at their shows. I do know this; I have made some wonderful friends. I try to show the positive with my photography and the Banks's are just that. I feel more comfortable photographing locally. I felt somewhat embarrassed the day Jesse told me the Banks' live right here in Middletown - my current stomping grounds. They are like the neighbor that one regrets never taking the time to get to know only to find out they truly are wonderful people! They exposed my ignorance as I did not know we had local Native Americans. I always thought Native Americans lived in North Carolina or out West.

This past weekend Jesse informed me that he can no longer dance with the group due to an ankle injury he sustained two years ago. The injury never healed properly and causes a great deal of pain. He still appears in full regalia with the rest of the group. As for Mark, he has expanded his performance to include flute in addition to drumming and dance. For those of you that have never heard him perform, you are missing out on his talents as a muscian and dancer as only he can perform. The Banks family are truly folk heroes.

I am happy that the Banks family and friends are getting the recognition they truly deserve as they draw in larger crowds. I only wish local media would catch up with them more often. The Middletown Journal finally posted a photo of Jesse and Mark. I think this community and surrounding communities are coming to terms with the fact that there are local Native Americans among us and it is about time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home