Monday, November 27, 2006




The Secret Of Seco

Still new to my blog? Yeah me too. If you become a regular of my blog, you are going to find that I have an insatiable appetite for history. Working in my photo libarary, I came across some photos I shot down home outside of Whitesburg in a little place called Seco, Kentucky (pronounced SEE-co). As I scanned through the photos, I began to feel bad as the lady who was my host that day was promised by me that I would send her some photos I shot of my day with her. I hope this blog will make up for it as well as a phone call from me.

Seco was incorporated in 1915 as a coal camp. Now watch this. South East Coal Company, thus the name "Seco", set up their headquaters at this location. Based on information I researched down there and on line, very little has changed in terms of the town's layout. Over in Millstone, an exact headquarter building by South East Coal Company rest in the center of town (please refer to my blog, Customer Service: Past And Present). Please see photos and by all means, use your mouse to enlarge them if detail and quality becomes challenging.

When I go down home, I like to grab my cameras and meander through the mountains. The day I shot these was no exception. I wondered over to Seco and as a rule, before I shoot anything where people are around, I always get permission. I have made many friends by doing so. As I stood before this huge building, I was amazed at the wonderful condition of it's structure. Someone had preserved the original building. Why? I was amazed at it's size for a small coal camp. I had just stood at the edge of town, holding my hand in front of my eyes only to see Seco disappear. This is typical of all coal camps throughout the mountains down there. They are small.

I walked in to find a lady standing behind what appeared to be a bar in the middle of a large but restored country dinner hall. Like all southerners down home, she welcomed me. We introduced ourselves. I, being the question lady, began asking about this majestic place. She invited me to sit at the bar to sample wines. Wait a minute! I'm in a dry county! She explained that she has a legal license to run a winery and serve wine. I sat down because I was dying to know more history about this awesome place. She gladly began a tour. I felt regal.

This place is now owned by Mr. And Mrs. Jack Looney. The old South East Coal Company headquarters is now a lovely bed and breakfast as well as home to Highland Winery. If wine is your thing, she will take great care of you. She walked me through her entire wine list and explained their tastes. On Friday evenings, they serve a fabulous country dinner and host bluegrass shows. What would this place be without bluegrass?

I realized that I was getting pressed for time as I had many, many more relatives to visit and be back on the road toward Cincinnati early in the morning. Wish I had found this place earlier in the week. However, I could not let this opportunity to photograph and learn pass me up. I asked permission to have liberty to shoot photos. Not only did she grant permission, she joined me.

As we went outside, she began pointing at various houses. She stated that any house painted yellow belonged to her and her husband. They bought up these little houses destined to become part of their bed and breakfast business. As we stood on the side of the building (see photo of where I stand in the garden then compare to old black and white photo), Mrs. Looney explained to me that this is where the train came up to the headquarters to unload supplies. The sliding door is actually still there. Today, she has converted this very spot into a beautiful garden to use for dinner parties in the warm months. One has to see an actual layout of a coal camp to appreciate this place. I told her that many of the men in my family had worked for South East Coal Company and it became a common household name.

Before I left, I just had to ask Mrs. Looney one question; What made her and her husband endeavor to take on Seco, Kentucky and create the business they now have? I will never forget her answer as long as I live. She stated, with a smile that "I'm sick and tired of people up North thinking that all we do is sit around on a porch toothless and carrying a shot gun. I want people to come here, relax, have a good time and see what people of southeast Kentucky are really like". I couldn't agree more.

Darlings, I know that if you are willing to experience something different, the Looneys will take great care of you should you ever become their guest. You will encounter southern hospitality as it is meant to be. People down home take hospitality very seriously and do not appreciate their hospitality taken for granted by outsiders. The Looneys are no exception. Mrs. Looney invited me back for the evening as dinner and bluegrass music were on the agenda. Sad to say, I was very pressed for time. However, I do plan on returning.

This wonderful place is about three hundred miles from where I now sit. If you want to experience a bit of Americana, call ahead at 606-855-7968. While enjoying your time there and you want to learn more of Appalchian folk lore and southeastern Kentucky's coal industry there is plenty of that around. The Virginia state line is just up the road if you want to see Clinch Mountain and the now famous Pound Gap. Whether you are a historian, artist, geologist or hopeless romantic, give the Looneys a call. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Until the next dive bomb my darlings, meow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home