Thursday, November 30, 2006


Tomorrow's Poet!

While looking through my library, I came across Sonnets From The Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! How did that get in there? I never liked the stuff nor am I much on poetry. I always found the stuff boring. I have no explanation for my intense dislike of prose or poetry. I looked inside this book only to discover that I bought it one hundred years ago while in college. I have tried from the heart to appreciate this unique form of language but all to no avail. I get bored. I did find someone who has a natural draw to poetry; he is my little friend Austin.

Austin began reciting lengthy passages of scripture since the age of four. This little man is still loosing his baby teeth but has mastered verbal recitations with ease. I can't remember a phone number lest I write it down yet he can recite lengthy bible passages from Isaiah! I have seen adults stand Austin on a chair and ask him to recite anything he knows. Austin will recite upon request if asked to do so. I have actually sat speechless when he concludes a lengthy recital. I hope to see what this young man does with this gift years on down the road.

Austin is blessed to have parents who encourage him. He is part of a young family that care enough to teach and encourage he and his siblings. He is a great kid who loves giving hugs and he is full of life around people. Every time that boy would loose a baby tooth, not only would the tooth fairy take great care of him but he would be eager to share his tooth fairy money. He would insist on taking me to dinner at McDonald's with tooth fairy money. I told him to save all that money and maybe buy a new truck or something. Sweet little boy.

It is because of Austin and only Austin, that I tolerate prose and poetry. No professor could ever make me tolerate the stuff. Maybe Austin should have the Sonnets rather than me keeping the book on my shelf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home