Friday, December 01, 2006




Mission With Power

Time for another "Mission With Power". This "mission" usually consists of me taking my cameras, sandwich, thermos of coffee and an open heart to an undisclosed location. The location is undisclosed as I use this time for quite time. I also don't think the average person would appreciate places I go. I usually refer to the places as the "Secret Spot" which, if you must know, consists of a nature site or a historical site. If you will, I'm kind of like the local National Geographic lady. I don't like to disclose the locations for fear of everyone else frequenting these areas and trashing them. I do enjoy peace of mind and sharing my photos upon my return. I am currently considering owl and kestral hunting to photograph and just to enjoy.

Kestrals are considered Ohio's smallest falcon. This photo I shot of a little kestral was injured and turned over to a nearby "secret" nature reserve. He has one eye. For the unfamiliar, kestrals can be found along telephone lines that stretch along open but harvested fields. They are constant hunters for field mice. I love their swift flight. The past couple of months has been a great time to get out to observe them now that farmers have harvested their grain.

Owls are not as easy to find. They can be found in old barns and old trees. Signs to alert the observer of a nearby owl consists of "pellets" at the tree base they occupy. Pellets contain bone and hair fragments from their prey. Owls can not digest this stuff . Another sign of a nearby owl is a flock of birds, usually crows, flying over a tree with an owl inside. It is not known why birds like to harass owls.

I shot these photos at an owl workshop. "Larry" is the Great Horned owl. This owl is approxiamately 31 years old and has been with the sanctuary since the age of four months. After four months it was soon discovered that Larry is a girl. She was never injured but found abandoned. Needless to say, she imprinted. They tried to release her several times long ago but she returned every time. I asked if she tries to nest even though she has no husband. Her handler stated that Larry will lay an egg each year during season. When she realizes nothing comes of her egg, she gets depressed for a short while.

"Barney" is the beautiful Barn Owl. Pretty much his own owl. Serious minded fellow. I do come across these in big old barns more often than any other species. They are active and noisy at night.

I probably saw more of these beautiful birds when I was a little girl. The urban sprawl was not grand long ago as it is these days. Today, with the housing explosion, I have never seen nature scrounging for it's habitat as I have seen today. If anything, I've probably have seen more nature confusing it's way into suburbia. Sometimes, nature comes to an end when it does find itself in suburbia. It is little wonder I enjoy the secrecy yet the beauty of what we are destroying all around us. Therefore, I always encourage people in sub-divisions to respect nature when it wanders into a new yard. It was there before your yard and requires the once natural habitat your new zillion dollar home rests upon.

Until the next dive bomb my darlings...meow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home