Monday, October 08, 2007


Animal Cruelty-Ohio Is The Worst!

Greetings my darlins! Let me first say it is great to be back. Without going into detail, I've been swamped with many projects. With these and the fact that I keep a handwritten journal, I've neglected my blog. I hope to make up for my absence in the future. Of course, Moo and Teddy Bear keep things lively around here. The little darlings have now learned to take my ironing board hostage. When I need to do my ironing, I always find the ironing board in a hostage situation. Too funny!

I've spent the last months within our local courts listening to animal cruelty cases. Animal cruelty has now become a weekly routine. Even the court staff are asking what is the problem with animal cruelty. I wish I had the answer. I also wish I had the answer as to why those who mistreat animals are getting an judicial slap on the wrist. Having been found guilty of animal cruelty, these people take their slap on the wrist back to their communities only to elevate abusive behavior toward others-especially children. I'm not comfortable living around abusive people.

For those of you outside the state of Ohio you may need to understand that Ohio's animal cruelty law has not been changed since 1875! There have been a couple of amendments but nothing more. Senator Gary Cates, R-West Chester, Ohio, stated that Ohio judges have the state's animal cruelty law at their disposal but they refuse to use it. Well said Senator.

Furthermore, for some elusive reason, state lawmakers refuse to change the charges of animal cruelty from a misdemeanor to a felony. As voters, we can not change the current law-only state lawmakers have the authority to do so. However, as voters we can continue to lobby for change.

Why did I suddenly decide to observe animal cruelty cases in court? Since animal cruelty is a routine crime punishable by a slap on the wrist, I wanted to see and hear with my own God-given senses why these evil people are literally getting a free pass for irresponsibility. I have heard first hand the same excuses from abusers; "I didn't know", "I didn't have the money to take better care of my pet". Give me a break!!! These people seem to have money to pay an expensive attorney to get them out of trouble. Furthermore, ignorance is a common excuse to lay blame somewhere else. My darlins, I will never fathom an adult having any reason to neglect, torture or kill an innocent animal.

Along with my concern for abusers being back among the responsible part of society, I'm alarmed at judicial decisions to pick apart if not throw out by fiat the current animal cruelty law after finding defendants guilty! For example, this past August, Judge Robert Lyons of Area I Court in Oxford, Ohio, found Otis Clark Jr. of Somerville, Ohio guilty of animal cruelty. Clark admitted he left his dog chained 24/7 and had no intentions of getting vet care for the dog. Yet, Clark refused to sign ownership of the dog over to the shelter so as to allow it to be put up for adoption. He pleaded no contest which is saying he is guilty but does not know what laws he broke. Judge Lyons agreed Clark was guilty of torturing the dog as defined by Ohio law. Judge Lyons ordered Clark to pay the shelter for surgery and boarding, take the dog to the vet every 90 days, read a book on dog care and be subjected to random checks on the dog. Judge Lyons signed a court order for the dog to be returned to it's abuser!!! What if this had been an abused child? Would Lyons return the abused child back to it's abuser along with a book on child care?

The real hypocrisy is when county auditor Kay Rogers discovered after Judge Lyons decision, he failed to license his own dogs in 2006 right up until July 12th-before he heard this case. Ah ha! In order for Judge Lyons to claim he was unbiased, he had to get his own dogs licensed or the Clark case would have been thrown out of court. For nearly five months, Lyons refused to talk to the very animal control officers and veterinarian after he subpoenaed them to court.

Not being one for organized protests, I did join in the one organized against Judge Lyons. I have learned to be careful where I lend my support because people can take my support and abuse it. Moreover, people involved in protests can act like complete idiots. I'm not comfortable getting involved with people who instigate shouting matches, name calling and religious arguments. On behalf of these poor animals I had to do something. I attended this one against Lyons with my sign to send out a message the he has intensified a hostile environment toward innocent animals.



So for the past months, I have been involved in the animal crusade and will continue my involvement until our laws are changed to protect every last animal. Moo and Teddy Bear would greatly appreciate this.

Until the next dive bomb my darlins, meow!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home