Sunday, January 07, 2007


Red Or Blue?

My darlings, as an avid outdoor woman I have noticed a species missing? Where, in this region has the Blue Jay gone? Up until 1999, Blue Jays were plentiful and I never had a problem attracting them to my bird feeder. They do not migrate so where are they? Since the West Nile Virus scare began, Blue Jays bore the blame as science concluded that this bird was a carrier of the virus. I have heard no reports as to whether this beautiful bird is being exterminated. My birdwatching friends have noticed their abscence just about everywhere. I do not know what it is like in your region but I would be interested in your feedback.

At winter and Christmas time, we all direct our attention to the male Cardinal. I must say he is a hansome bird and fun to watch how he treats his wife during mating season. He goes all out for her. Then in the off season, he virtually ignores her. Poor girl. She forgives him for his off season behavior when Spring rolls around.

As part of my curiosity, I went back through my archives and indeed I found the last time I photographed the Blue Jay up close. This photo was shot through a screen thus the quality has been compromised. I do indeed remember these on the back porch and have not really seen them since.

Until the next dive bomb my darlings--meow!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home