Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Neighbor The Doornob

With a busy schedule this week, I finally found time to run to the grocery to pick up a few items. I ran into a friend that I had worked with for a long time. Needless to say, he and I must have sat in our trucks for over an hour just catching up on things. After we wished each other well, I went next door to get my kitties their stuff. Afterwards I went home not feeling to well from one of my meds.

I made a turn on my street and was shocked at what I saw. In front of this building was a pretty good size man beating a dog mercifully. I pulled up into the lot, stepped out and so as to not make things worse, calmly spoke up "Sir? Is everything ok?". I noticed the dog was yelping which told me immediately that he was in danger. The man was screaming at the poor dog while hitting it and dragging it by it's collar down the sidewalk. The next thing I knew, the man cussed me out and told me to mind my own business. He then proceeded to drag the dog by it's collar. The man dragged the dog down the sidewalk and into an apartment building next door. I told him I have his Christmas present. I reached into my jacket, pulled out my cell phone and diled 911. I was determined to save that dog.

You must understand the neighboorhood in which I live. I live in Middletown's old industrial district which has been undergoing a revitalization. This former industrial district used to be a "red light" district. Despite the revitalization into art shops, Art Walk, cafe and coffee shops, some of what I call "run off" is still around. What we call "run off" refers to Section 8 types and those who just routinely get arrested. Around me are some really nice townhouses occupied by some hard working people. The city police department, Twelfth Circuit Court of Appeals, my bank, library, grocery, my pharmacy, airport are just some entities within blocks of me. Therefore, the runoff is easy to locate in such a renovated part of the city. The creepy dwelling in this neighborhood is a run down Section 8 building next door where the dog owner lives. When how I saw that young man carried on last night with that poor dog, it is little wonder that neighborhoods do not want Section 8 housing near them. I can't blame them.

I am aware of some people that have little else to turn to other than a Section 8. These people are elderly, widowed, in failing health and disabled. However, they volunteer in there communities and make a difference. They are also law abiding citizens. They do not have much but they choose to be responsible. The man that lives in the building next to me is the classic Section 8 doornob.

When I called 911, the dispatcher was reluctant to send an officer on the grounds I could not provide an apartment number where I saw the man drag the dog. I told her that I was standing down the block and could not see an apartment number. I further stated that as enraged as the man was with the dog and me, I did not think it would be wise for me to go over there on someone else's property to see an apartment number. I did tell her that I would be happy to meet an officer in my parking lot and go over with an officer to identify the dog owner.

As I stood waiting, an officer arrived within minutes. The first thing that I said to that officer was "I now see why people look down on Section 8 people. They are dumber than cornbread. I have lived here for a while and the building next door should start renting units over there to the city police department as much as the police are over there". The officer said that forty percent of his calls are due to people like the man who just beat up his dog. I then introduced myself to the officer. Then ironically, some lady came walking up to us with her dog and started ranting to me that the officer blocked her path while she was walking her dog. Gee lady! Get a life! It's fun!. I told her to file a complaint with the officer in the cruiser. She turned her nose at the officer and left. Darlings! Do people thrive on how stupid they can be?

I was so hurt over that poor dog, that I was now becoming angry. I begged that officer to go get the poor dog, bring it to me, then bring the owner to me, stand him in front of my pick up truck and we will call it even. Then I told the officer the only reason I will not run over that boy's hindend is because I value my IQ. The officer assured me he would go next door, examine the dog and make sure it was ok. Later he would turn over his report to the city dog warden whom I have worked beside on occasion.

After I got my groceries out of my truck, I turned and saw that the officer order the man to bring the dog outside. The man must have become difficult because two more police cruisers with additional officers appeared. As I stood there watching and listening, I could just imagine the man whining, "Oh my dog ran out the door and I had to go get him. He will be ok". Hey Junior! If you jaywalk with your dog across the street, you will find the Middletown Dog Training Center. Go there instead of beating your dog half to death over here. What a doornob!!!

If anyone is determined to own a pet-PLEASE NEVER USE PHYSICAL FORCE! Last night's doornob is a classic example of people that should never own pets. If he can not properly handle a dog darting out the door then he should not be a pet owner. I have seen too many abused animals come into our local shelters because of people like this man. Dogs and cats have died unessessary deaths at the hands of cold and calculated people like the "run off " I encountered last night. Remember, this misfit is being kept up with OUR tax dollars!

I swore that if I ever see anyone mistreating an animal I will turn their sorry hindend into the authorities. Everyone who knows me well are aware of this fact. The doornob at 323 Reinartz now knows I turned his sorry butt into the police. God did not put these animals on this planet so that misfits like Skippy next door can abuse them. Anyone who mistreats animals are a big fat red flag. They end up abusing children, women, their mothers, the elderly and start a career as a serial killer. So when I see abuse the red flag I get is "What else is really going on inside that home?" When you see any animal abuse, take it seriously and contact your local police. As for Skippy next door; if he told me he came out of a box the way I saw him conduct himself, he'll get no argument from me at all. He certainly proved that his brain functions like it is full of holes. When you demonstrate that your head works like a spagetti strainer then guess what? People are going to strain spagetti through your meager head. Act like your IQ is no larger than your shoe size then guess what? Society will treat you like you are a rock head. If you are living next to me and abuse animals you will quickly become an ex-neighbor.

In the meantime, my heartstrings are seriously strained. I get emotional when I witness animal abuse. I can not shake the image of that poor dog crouched down on the sidewalk in total fear due to screaming, kicking, slapping, choking and dragging all of which were directed at him with so much force. I can not shake the sounds of that poor animal yelping for help. He knew he was in danger. Now I can understand why the poor animal ran away from his owner. This has been on my mind all day and I will take it to sleep with me. It is easier for me to sit here and write the details rather than speak. If I speak about the details, I just break down. I need to wait this one out a while. Later, it dawned on me that I was in danger as enraged as that man was he could have turned on me. I just did not give this any thought as I saw the defenseless dog in danger. I would do it all over again. However, I believe that God protects those who have a heart to protect what rightfully belongs to Him.

For now, I am waiting a few days to get a copy of the police report. I am tempted to plaster the walls with copies of it but I don't want my good name to be associated with doornobs. I then want to follow up with the city warden to check on the welfare of the dog.

I close with this thought. It amazes me from where such human violence toward animals come. I can conclude none other than evil. I'll admit that I am bitter over last night's scenario. I have no respect for people who mistreat the weak animals or people. Moreover, I am still very sad for that dog. I have only had one mishap from a dog in that I was bit in the knee by an aggressive Chow long ago. I had no disire to retaliate as I knew I got into his space. I got kicked in the face by a colt when I was a kid. I learned the hard way to never stand behind a horse-they just don't like you back there. Other than this, I have not had any bad encounters with animals. All my life, onlookers have been amazed at how affectionate my pets have been (I too have been amazed!) I can surmise the reason for this is the more you love your pets, then they will return the favor (provided it is a animal born with this instinct). Many have said "I don't like pets in the house". Then don't get one if it will not be safe outdoors. Many have said "I con't like pet hair indoors". Then clean up the pet hair and your own hair while you are at it. Some have said "People treat their pets like human kids". Moo and Teddy Bear are my kids and I don't expect you to understand and they treat me far better than many humans I know.


I have been blessed with a desire to learn to respect the animal kingdom and learn to love it all the same. A good gauge to know the heart of those around you is to watch how they treat their pets, your pets or neighborhood strays. Most of all, I learned at a very early age Who created the animal planet as we know it and I treat it with awe.

Until the next dive-bomb my darlings-meow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home