Monday, January 01, 2007

Convictions From A Mockingbird

Lately there has been a mockingbird hanging around, of all places, the parking lot. A common bird species that does not migrate and is not romantic this time of year, I have no idea why he is staying here. Though mockingbirds do not migrate, I really do not often see them in the winter. As I watched him out my window, I could just feel my IQ drop like blood pressure. I wondered what he knew that I did not know as he sat in a tree full of berries. Other birds eat those berries but this feller does not touch them. Wonder why? Mocking birds love fruit. Maybe these berries are not fruit. Maybe I should learn more about the tree in which he sat so as to understand him better.

Another note about this usually active bird is that he is quiet. The only time mockingbirds are quite are when they mate. When not mating, they are so noisy that it is common for them to sing their other bird impersonations around the clock. I have heard them chatter and sing into the wee morning hours that I have lost sleep.

Mockingbirds have this unusual "loop to loop" and it is unknown why they do this. I have enjoyed watching these birds sit atop fence posts, jump off like they are falling to the ground only to loop back to a sitting position atop the post. My little residential mime is not doing the "loop to loop". Could winter have something to do with this?

Though I was glad to see my little friend on this New Year's day, something he did really humbled me. I saw him light on a black Cadillac only to begin to drink water from big beaded water drops of the morning rain. As I watched him scoop up that water, I could just envision an enraged owner seeing this bird on the car. I mean with the way society worships it's automobiles, bird poop alone can ruin a car owner's day and send a car owner frantically to the car wash. I continued to watch the bird gladly lap up those beads of water. I felt jolted in that God reminds us that nature does not have to worry about what the day will bring as He provides for creatures such as this mockingbird. This reminded me of the things I'm guilty of worrying about each day. We are all guilty. Ok, maybe I won't find myself drinking water from the hood of a car but I forget the little stuff that God has promised to provide for me. He brought me to this New Year's day for starters. I have electricity in which to do this blog. The bifocals to help me see this blog are a benefit. The body parts in which to sit here to blog are fine. I am using rationale in which to think for this blog. Oh wait! I got out of bed this morning alive! I can choose what I want to eat today. I could go on and on. The point is that God provides for His Creation as He has promised. Humanity frets while nature gets on with life.

Watching my little friend out the window made me wonder how much of my time I have wasted in worrying about things out of my reach or things I just don't need while I have ignored the necessities of life. My little friend proved to me today that he will live his life as he was created to live. I'm grateful that God sent this little angel to my window with much needed conviction. Though he is quite for now, he still spoke volumns to my heart today. I will be looking for him tomorrow. What will you be looking for tomorrow?

I wish I had a photo of this bird species but one does not exist in my archives. My apologies.

Until the next dive bomb my darlings-meow!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom A said...

Hay good lookin I hadn't relized just how deep you really are keep your chin up an be well talk to ya soon

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home