Monday, October 15, 2007


Baby Doll's Bad Luck?

October and black cats always seem to up the ante for ignorance. Quite simply put, black cats are a target for pranks, rituals, mistreatment and sadly, death. Superstition dating back to colonial America tends to fuel the poor survival rate of these beautiful gentle cats. As a result, black cats are off limits for adoptions from October 1st to November 1st. All of this may have gone in favor of my new little friend, Baby Doll.

Moo introduced me to Baby Doll when she spotted her out of our window late Saturday night. I looked out and saw under the street light a small little black cat. I spoke to it which compelled the little black youngster to approach my window. Each time I spoke, the little cat would meow back on queue. I quickly grabbed some of Moo's and Teddy Bear's dry Purina One, a small bowl of water and hurried downstairs.

Instinctively, this little kitty met me on the other side of the door. It seemed thrilled to see me. After trying to determine it's gender under a street light, it was obvious this little black beauty was a female. Craving affection more than the food and water, this little kitty and I hit things off very well. She was the most affectionate little stranger of a kitty I ever met. I got the feeling she planned our meeting.

After playing with her for awhile, I had to go back up to my apartment. My heart went out to this little kitty.

Getting back inside, I looked out my window and the little darling was back in her spot, sitting on the ground, looking up at us. It is at this time I referred to her as a gentle little "baby doll". She and I talked back and forth until I saw two visitors exit the building. Little Baby Doll went straight up to these ladies to beg for attention. Nervously, I watched this confrontation. The ladies looked down at Baby Doll only to move on about their business.

Unable to sleep a wink, I worried about Baby Doll. I would get up on and off throughout the wee morning hours and look out my window. Sure enough, Baby Doll would be sitting on the cold ground looking up. My heart strings were really being pulled. I began to feel helpless due to building policy preventing residents from feeding or harboring stray animals. Sadly, she stayed on the cold ground all morning.

By daylight, Baby Doll was gone.

I called a cat rescue organization that helps cats and kittens in dire straits. I also called a friend of mine who volunteers with this organization as I knew she could be a huge help. It was decided that if I could catch Baby Doll, the organization would take her into their foster network. I had a gut feeling that Baby Doll would be back.

At about 8:10 p.m.Sunday evening, trotting across the parking lot came Baby Doll. I spoke to her and next thing I knew she was back beneath my window. Somehow I knew that she knew she and I now had a routine. So I got some more food and water. Sure enough, Baby Doll met me at the same spot downstairs. We were glad to see each other. After loving on each other, I picked her up and placed her in the cab of my truck. I hurried back upstairs to grab a pet carrier for the ready. I called my friend who advised me to bring Baby Doll over to her house. The plan worked!!!

Today, I successfully turned Baby Doll over to this cat orphanage. The lady who took her assured me that Baby Doll's odds of survival are nil during the month of October if left on her own. Coupled with the fact that Baby Doll was black right down to her little whiskers and it is October, this lady readily accepted Baby Doll into foster care. Our meeting was brief as Baby Doll was going to go straight to the vet. Sadly, I said goodbye to Baby Doll, handed over some cat food, new litter box with litter, cat toys and a donation.

As I drove home feeling good about another rescue, I could not help but feel that the so called bad luck associated with black cats can rightly be attributed to the superstitious ignorance of humans. For Baby Doll, this senseless bad luck became good luck for her on this day.

I must be honest about my observations regarding Baby Doll and other strays like her. She was often seen next door with a couple who recently got evicted. Commonly, evicted residents try to retaliate by leaving the pets behind. I witnessed Baby Doll roaming around the couples' building as if she was looking for them. Despite being abandoned and the black cat superstition, I'm glad Baby Doll chose to come to me. I truly believe that God does send needy animals to the people He knows will love and care for them. For this, I am honored Today she is safe and sound.

Finally, if you noticed, I did not mention the cat orphanage and the friend who helped me by name. The reason for this is that this organization is not a shelter nor do they wish to be treated like one. They take in cats who are in danger or have serious health needs. The have helped me in the past when it comes to rescuing cats. They do not want to be swamped with humans who no longer want their pets. This organization survives on donations and volunteers willing to foster cats until these lovely cats are adopted. They are strict as to who is allowed to adopt. For example households with small children or too many animals are denied adoptions. Further grounds for denial are allowing the cat outdoors.

As for myself, I would prefer that people in and around my apartment building not know about my rescues or I will be hammered with requests to take their pets that they no longer want. Many around her know my love of animals and of course they know what a devoted cat-mom I am to Moo and Teddy Bear. As a result, I'm approached by people asking me to help find a last minute home for the pets they no longer want.

Sad and never ending are the animal stories I encounter almost daily but God keeps me going.

Baby Doll, until the next dive-bomb my little darlin, good luck and MEOW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home