Monday, January 18, 2010

Curiosity Did Not Kill The Cat. PartII What Gives Me The Right?

Never have I been questioned as to what gives me the right to get involved in situations such as mentioned in Part I. If anything, I hope that justifying my involvement will compel others to do what is right for animals held in abusive control.

First and foremost, my conscience is my guide. I can not possibly move on knowing that an animal is neglected or abused. The human in control of said animals are a red flag. The Profitt case is a clear example of a red flag in which her children were immediately removed from the home after conditions of the home and a dead dog found chained in a basement were accounted for by police.

Some people limit their conscience when they are aware of the abuse but do nothing about it. They may expect someone else to step up and save the day. This is often what I encounter. If I have learned anything from animal control is that officers can not respond to heresay. They will respond to the facts. If I call animal control, I always assume that the facts exist and if charges are imminant, there is a good chance I will be on a witness stand in court. I always give my name.

Yes there are those that want to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation. I suggest that the witness offer to give a name off the record because retaliation does happen. I have personally experienced retalilation from animal abusers. The level of anger tends to subside when I remind the abuser that no one told them to neglect or abuse their pet.

One case comes to mind regarding Laura Spencer from Trenton, Ohio. In 2007, we heard her case in MiddletownMunicipal Court. She had left a labrador chained so long that the chained became embedded in the dog's neck. While nothing justifies treating a dog like a lawn ornament, Spencer's attorney spent time convincing the court that Spencer had a history of caring for animals since she was a child whether it be volunteering in local shelters or just having pets at home. Visiting Judge Larry Moore heard testimony from her pastor, parents, etc. Judge Moore concluded that with Spencer's life long exposure to animals, there was no excuse for her to chain her current dog 24/7. She was found guilty. As we left, Spencer's father and husband lunged for us. My friend Bill calmly turned around and told them "No one told her to treat that dog the way she did. It deserved better". The court was not happy with Spencer's family's conduct. Later, I found myself interviewed by local news and said what I had to say.

Despite retailiation possibilities, my conscience remains my guide. I never like to find myself in a preventable situation with a seared conscience.
Next, you may ask if I'm being a bit harsh and judgemental on those who hurt animals. Truth be told, I don't worry about it. I've never been questioned about my thoughts on animal abusers.
I've also learned to be careful listening to others complain about watching others abuse animals but expect others to save the day. For example, in Part I, I mentioned the young woman that would have a bad day, go out and grab her dog by the collar and slam it against a brick wall. Onlookers outside on a smoke break repeatedly saw this but left their cell phones in their pockets. Experience dictates that these onlookers draw a line on abuse. When it comes to proving that their neighbor's son is a Tier III sex offender-they don't want to know! Watching animal abuse is not serious enough to get involved. Truth is truth and abuse is abuse. There are no lines to be drawn. If you witness abuse and do nothing, you are equally at fault. If you tolerate your sweet innocent neighbor's sex offender son visiting next door while your grandchildren visit you, you are sick! I have absolutely no problem with avoiding red flags. If anything, it is a shame that these red flags are allowed to live in my neighborhood.

Until the next dive-bomb...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home